MASSACHUSETTS – ISPSC pool & spa code adoption
Regulation ID: MA34203
Issue: Board of Building Regulations & Standards final rules on 9th edition state building code
Affects: Those who build and renovate swimming pools & spas.
Send comments to: Jennifer Hatfield, email@example.com
Rule Summary: The Board proposed rules regarding building regulations and standards for the state’s 9th edition building code. The rules (state building code) was updated based on the 2015 I-codes, including the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Existing Building Code, International Mechanic Code (IMC), International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), portions of the International Fire Code (IFC) and most importantly to the pool & spa industry, the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC).
State specific amendments do occur within these codes and in addition to the ISPSC, the code was amended in R326.1 to recognize other state regulations one must follow when working on different types of pools & spas:
- Public and semi-public outdoor in-ground swimming pool enclosures shall conform to the requirements of M.G.L. c. 140, § 206.
- Also see 521 CMR 19.00: Recreational Facilities.
- Also see 105 CMR 430.00: Minimum Standards for Recreational Camps for Children (State Sanitary Code, Chapter IV) and 435.00: Minimum Standards for Swimming Pools (State Sanitary Code: Chapter V) as such regulate swimming pool requirements.
- Installation of electrical wiring and electrical devices shall be in accordance with 527 CMR: Board of Fire Prevention Regulations.
- Installation of gas-fired pool heaters shall be in accordance with 248 CMR: Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters.
The code was also amended in the building codebook, section 3109.1 noting that swimming pools shall comply with the requirements of sections 3109.2 through 3109.5 and other applicable sections of 780 CMR. Noting the contractor should also see:
- 521 CMR 19.00: Recreational Facilities;
- 105 CMR 430.00: Minimum Standards for Recreational Camps for Children (State Sanitary Code: Chapter IV) and 105 CMR 435.00: Minimum Standards for Swimming Pools (State Sanitary Code: Chapter V).
- And for public swimming pools to see M.G.L. c. 140, § 206 for enclosures to public and semi-public outdoor in-ground swimming pools.
APSP members should be sure to purchase the new ISPSC by contacting APSP. The Massachusetts amendments for the base code may be viewed @ Base Code Amendments and the residential code amendments may be viewed @ Residential Code Amendments. Please remember that the Massachusetts amendments posted on-line are unofficial versions and are meant for convenience only. Official versions of the Massachusetts amendments may be purchased from the State House Bookstore after October 20th @Shop the Bookstore and any of the I-Codes may be purchased from the International Code Council (ICC) @ iccsafe.org.
Status: The Board adopted the rules and published the final rule text in the Massachusetts Register. The 9th edition Massachusetts Building Code went into effect on October 20. This new code will come into full force and effect on January 1, 2018 (so one can use it now, but is required to follow it come first of the year).
Notice of Final Rules (begins on page 203 of pdf):