Do you know how to become a pool contractor, pool builder or pool designer that is well respected and sought after by both customers and employers alike?
This nationally recognized designation is highly sought after by those who know the value of certification. As a Certified Pool & Spa Building Professional (CBP), you’ll raise confidence with prospective customers and raise your industry visibility among pool and spa manufacturers, distributors and buying groups.
Earning your CBP certification sets you apart from your colleagues and showcases your knowledge and skills. It makes you a more valuable asset and keeps you and your organization more competitive.
Who Should Apply?
- At least five years of industry experience
- 24 hours of continuing education credit over the past three years
- Pass a 150-question, closed book, multiple-choice exam
The CBP certification exam costs $250.
We offer three testing options.
1. Test at a PHTA national, regional or chapter-sponsored education and testing event. Find a listing of upcoming events here.
2. Test at a local PSI center.
3. Test at a community college or university near you. Proctored exams must be taken at an accredited college or university. If you opt to take the exam at a college or university test center, or chapter event, there may be an additional exam proctor fee that you will pay directly to the proctor at the time of the exam. These fees can vary but typically are from $0 to $40. If testing at a college or university, participants are responsible for the following:
- Scheduling an appointment for testing at a local community college or university testing center.
- Submitting this form at least two weeks prior to your exam date to ensure test materials arrive on time.
- Providing APSP University with your name, full mailing address and exam date.
Please note that PHTA does not maintain a list of testing centers throughout the U.S. We rely on local community colleges and libraries that offer their proctoring services to the general public.
Brand-new Online Format for PSCC Course
This new self-paced online course format is interactive and engaging with videos, quizzes and interactive exercises. You have the option to purchase the full course or a specific module. Learn more.
Course Materials and Forms
You must submit a completed application at least two weeks before your anticipated testing date.
- Exam Retest Form:
If you didn’t pass the exam, you can reschedule a retest within a year of your testing date to avoid having to take the course again.
- PHTA Builders Manual:
Many of our courses include the manual and workbook in the course fee, so check with PHTA University to see if the course you are signing up for includes the materials prior to ordering.
- Pool and Spa Construction Handbook:
Check with PHTA University to see if the course you are signing up for includes the materials prior to ordering.
- Certification Policy Handbook:
Many of the answers to your certification questions can be found in our Certification Policy Handbook.
Maintain Your Certification
Learn more about maintaining your status as a PHTA -certified individual and continue to enjoy the associated benefits.
From Our Members
I would say that everyone should take the CBP class. It definitely gives you an advantage when you go to meet with clients or just talk to other professionals because you are aware of different building practices that you might not necessarily use in your own business. But if someone has a question about a different type of pool construction, you can answer it.
Alexa Dal Pino, CBP
Dal Pino Quality Pools